Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Getting COO -ed

Not sure what coo-ed means (is there a word like that?) Too drained to google for that.
Past one week, I am doing a junk, boring and important work. On the day, when I joined back my office after a week's fever, my manager greets me with the info that there is a boring job waiting for me :). I knew it was coming, but didn't really want it.
Basically the work is this. The release for which I was working (Linux release) needs the Certificate Of Originality (COO). Guess every s/w produced will have this. So what is this COO ? COO tells that that particular software is our own original product and we list all the borrowed and bought codes and their licenses. That means, I need to sit and find out what are the third party softwares we are using, names of the individuals whose copyrighted files we are using, open source files, blah blah blah ....
Believe me, it is painful, pitiful, unrewarding, dangerous and an important work. Dangerous and imp because incase I make a mistake in finding out the complete info , say I miss out the info that we are using another company’s library or code and if found later, it will cost my job. Also the probability of that company suing mine is also there. So I need to find these info and we need to put these copyright info in the license doc or copyright info. That’s legal dept's headache. My job is reporting those company info and where we are using in our code and why???


I worked even on weekend and from Sunday, I am working late till 12.00 in the night.
Finally it is over and has to answer few more questions to the manager in US.
Phew......
For few days I forgot that I am a s/w engg :)

Wondering I can ever do a manager’s job. I mean non - technical work and which involves a lot of paper work!!!.

--saka

No comments: